From the Somerset County Register of Historic Sites: Volume I , Page 7, October 1981.
John Weighly ( Wagerline ) Farm, south of Berlin. On this tract Philip Wagerline's son John settled. He was a coverlet weaver and his log weaving house still stands below the main house. His son Seth built this fine double porch brick dwelling in 1867 and Seth's direct decendant, Paul Pritts, lives in it now. Pioneer Phillip is buried on the property.
From the Somerset County Historic Resource Survey, 1985
This well preserved brick farmhouse was built in 1867 for Seth Wagerline (Weighly) and his son-in-law Henry Cober. Today, the seventh generation of Wagerline decendants own the property. Partitioned from a larger tract in 1819 this 119 - acre property was first improved by John Wagerline, son of Phillip Wagerline, the district's earliest pernanent resident. John Wagerline had a log barn constructed on this parcel 1n 1809, and a log weaving house ion 1824, in adition to his log dwelling. This log home was replaced with the present brick strructure in 1867. The log barn gave way to the present bank barn in 1915. The log weaving house remains on the property. Combined these well- preserved structures create an informative picture of an evolving 200 - year - old - farm.
The Seth Wagerline House is a well - preserved example of the style of house built for the county's most prosperous nineteen - century farmers. The two story brick dwelling is banked on one side, creating an exposed basement level. Integral porches on both the first and second floor of the home's east and west walls are an important design feature. Sixteen houses of this design, eleven of them in brick, have been identified in central Somerset County. These homes were erected between 1860 and 1880. The Wagerline home was built by Danial Brubaker and his son George. It's likely that the Brubakers are responsible for construction of others of this style nearby. The home's center hall plan, symmetrical window placement, simpledesign, and classical entry show the influence of the earlier Federal style tradition.
Like most brick structures of this era, the building materials for this house was fired on the property. The massive cut stones of the foundation were quarried on the present Leo Bittner farm in Beechdale, Brothersvalley Township.
The Wagerline Home was designed for use by two family groups, one in the basement level and on on the upper two floors. There are no fireplaces in the structure. The home's interior is noteable fior its hand - grained woodwork and doors. Its six-over-six light double hung windows are original.